I’ve always loved a good to-do list. Despite how scary it might look sometimes I get so much satisfaction from ticking off tasks and yes I usually add a task or two I’ve already done. It’s got to be done, it’s both satisfying and motivating so there.
Anyway over the past few months I’ve had a big falling out with the to-do list. I’ve tried and tried to reconnect with my old friend but in all honesty he’s* been becoming quite needy and unnecessary and basically just a reminder of all the things I’ll never get done. * Yes I did just refer to a to-do list as a he, I think I’m quite possibly delirious from all the tiredness, exposure to sun over the Bank Holiday weekend and lack of McVities digestives in my system.
I’ve decided it’s time to accept a few things that basically are never going to happen, unless of course I find Bernard’s Watch (totes my fave reference to pausing time).
- I’m never going to reach the bottom of the washing basket. I try and I try and I try but I haven’t seen the bottom of the washing pile since 2012 when I basically didn’t do laundry. My mum did it for me.
- I’m never going to be able to create the perfect wardrobe I’ve been desperately pinning away on Pinterest for the last year. It’s not achievable and let’s face it even if it does happen, I’ll destroy it in two days.
- I’m never going to sell all those things on Facebook/eBay. I’m up to three bin bags of stuff now that one day I’m going to sell for a small fortune aka 99p plus p&p.
- I’m never going to watch Game of Thrones. I’ve heard great things from everyone but seriously I’m like 22 seasons behind, never going to happen.
- I’m never going to read those books that are piling up next to the bed. By the time I get into I’m lucky if my eyes still open long enough to turn the lamp off.
- I’m never going to complete those FutureLearn courses I’ve signed up to online. Writing fiction, learning about ecosystems. Ha.
- I’m never going to have that Monica Bing style paperwork system with colour coded folders and labels. I still want a label maker though.
I’ve decided to accept these things and no longer include them on the list. Instead the list is going to be a place with realistic tasks that have a small chance of being completed whilst my little stuntman is sitting still eating a snack/mesmerised by Let’s Play on CBebbies.
Goodbye unrealistic to-do list!
That Aspiring Yummy Mummy. X