Then there was Ada.

10pm on Thursday 4th January; when our family became complete.

Ada’s arrival was quick and wonderful (albeit very painful but the gas and air helped) and now I couldn’t imagine life without her. We’re all besotted and Harley is obsessed.

After being induced with Harley (due to his size – he weighed 9lbs but was expected to be bigger) I was really hoping to go into labour naturally and I got my wish, well sort of. Labour began on Wednesday 3rd January following a sweep the day before and my first real notable contraction came as I was sprinkling cheese on toast for Harley’s lunch. A few hours of mildly uncomfortable contractions every 4-5 minutes had me thinking that this was it and we started making plans about who’d look after Harley overnight and when we should make a move to the hospital. And then they stopped.

During the night I had a few sharp contractions but annoyingly absolutely no pattern. After about two hours sleep it was Thursday morning and Harley was calling for me so we went about his normal morning routine. It was only after 30 minutes that I realised I hadn’t felt baby move so called the labour ward and was instructed to go straight there. Thankfully all was fine and my contractions had become more regular, every five minutes or so, so the decision was made to bring my induction forward (I was due to be induced on Saturday 6th January) to help speed things up. And that it certainly did.

I was induced at around 2pm and informed that it could take 24 hours or even longer before anything happened so I was determined to keep moving and walk the baby out. Soon my contractions were stronger and more frequent and I was that girl that was clutching onto the wall outside of the coffee shop and WH Smith trying to breathe through a contraction. Note: also the same coffee shop and WH Smith I cried outside of TWICE on separate occasions earlier in the day. Nobody warned me how emotional you can get during the first stage of labour, genuinely I don’t think I’ve ever cried so much in my life.

Things that set me off included anything Harley-related as I felt immensely guilty that he would no longer have our full undivided attention and he had no idea how much his world was about to change, anytime anybody was nice to me, walking past the coffee shop/WH Smith as I remembered how I’d cried there the first time we’d walked past, and my favourite – blowing my nose. It reminded me that earlier in the morning I had wiped Harley’s nose for him. Cue minutes of crying all over again.

Anyway a few hours, one uneaten McDonalds (as the pain had reached a new level) and two useless paracetamol later I managed to convince the midwives on the induction ward to examine me. Turned out I was 4cm and now in active labour and was ready to head down to the labour ward, and just a few minutes later my waters broke too. And from there it all went very fast.

In the space of an hour I was wheeled out of the induction ward screaming and traumatising all of the other women there, took one of the most awkward lift journeys of my life naked from the waist down with several random people praying that I didn’t get another contraction whilst in there, discovered the joys of gas and air after accepting there was no time for the epidural I so badly wanted, and finally had our baby.



Then there was Ada.


Our perfect little girl, Ada Sophie, was born weighing 8lbs 8.5oz and had a full head of dark hair. Thankfully my recovery was super fast and I got to have skin-to-skin with Ada, and was up and about within an hour of having her.

Almost five weeks on and I can’t remember life before her, I don’t think any of us can. Harley is the best big brother and helps with making her bottles and wants to be around her all the time. Mumming of two can be hard, especially when doing it solo now Tom’s back at work and I’m not going to lie, it was pretty daunting too but I think we’re starting to find our routine.

For now I’m still in our beautiful newborn bubble and I don’t want it to end.

The Aspiring Yummy Mummy. x



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.