The Me Before Children.

The other day I took my hair bobble out of my hair and my pony tail didn’t drop. It stayed exactly where it had sat all day. It was then that I realised that I couldn’t remember the last time I had washed my hair. The shame.

It got me thinking back to The Me Before I had Harley and Ada. I’d freak out if I hadn’t washed my hair every other day. Oh how things have changed, now I’m lucky if it’s once a week.

Whilst I wouldn’t change anything about my life, well maybe a few extra £’s in the bank and the flat effortless stomach of my former 17 year old self (I wish I could have appreciated it then!), it has changed a huge amount since I’ve had kids. So I thought I’d take a look back at the former me.

I wished away time all the time.

Wishing it was the weekend, counting down the weeks to a holiday, it all seemed really insignificant at the time. Now I wish time would slow right down. Ada is now six months (whaaaaaaat?!) and other than a long Thursday afternoon when I’m wishing Tom could be back from work so I could have a wee in peace and clean the kitchen, I never want time to speed up.

I had much better hair.

So I’ve already touched on the washing schedule but since I’ve had children something else has happened to my hair… greys. I now actually have to get them dyed. Surely 31 is too young? And don’t even get me started on the post-partum hair loss.

The Me Before Children.

I was oblivious to how great kids TV is.

Now I know most parents say they hate kids TV but I think they’re lying. Or maybe it’s just me? I become far too heavily invested in TV shows like Topsy and Tim, Blaze and the Monster Machines and LEGO Ninjago, and usually end up watching alone whilst Harley destroys the living room with his toys.

I didn’t appreciate the quiet.

I used to think it was a bad thing, now? Well I flipping love the quiet. It’s all go during the day so when both of the kids are in bed a bit of quiet is never a bad thing. I’m also definitely into reading a lot more too.

I had no patience.

Don’t get me wrong, some days my patience levels are ridiculously low but nothing teaches you to have patience more than waiting for a toddler to put their shoes on so you can leave the house.

I probably took things a bit too seriously.

Becoming a mum made me realise that there’s no point in sweating the small stuff. That’s in home life, work life, mum life. Basically all the life. As long as my two babies are safe, happy and healthy all is good in my world.

I had the best wardrobe. And I didn’t appreciate it.

Now I spend approximately 99.7% of my salary on clothes for the kids. The other 0.3% is in constant rotation as I buy clothes for me and end up returning them. Kids clothes are way cuter and most of what I end up buying is impractical. Anything with beads, pearls and studs is a no-no and wearing a dress means I’ll flash my knickers at least seven times a day.

I never understood how life changing having children would be.

Obviously I knew things would change but my whole mindset, ambitions and general attitude towards life has changed. Wow this is deep. But seriously being a mum is like nothing else. I saw Samantha Mumba on Loose Women this morning and she was saying that she is obsessed with her daughter. Before I would have been like ‘what?!’ but now I totally get it. Harley and Ada are everything and even though they’re tiny little people they teach me new things every day.

The Me Before had better less greasy hair, an actual skincare routine and didn’t pop to the shops in sick/poo/milk stained clothes but I think I prefer The Me Now.

The Aspiring Yummy Mummy. x

 Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

Share:

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.